RADON – WHAT IS YOUR RISK?
The second leading cause of lung cancer in Canada.
Educating our clients is top of our list and we’ve recently learned about Radon and the impact it has. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in Canada. We’d like to share what we’ve learned in an effort to help keep your dream home as healthy as possible.
Radon is an invisible, odourless, and tasteless radioactive gas that is found naturally in soil and rock from the breakdown of uranium. Radon decays quickly, giving off tiny radioactive particles. When inhaled, these radioactive particles can damage the cells that line the lungs. This gas escapes from the ground into the air outside. When radon mixes with the air outside, it’s not a problem: the air outside dilutes the amount of radon. But when it seeps into a closed-in space like a house, it can be harmful, long-term exposure to high levels of radon can lead to lung cancer.
There is no way to tell if you are exposed to Radon unless a test measurement is performed. There are inexpensive kits available that are easy to setup (left undisturbed) for a recommended 3 – 12 month period, then sent to the lab for levels testing.
If Radon is present there are mitigation professionals who are certified and trained to block the gas. Health Canada has a great resource, Radon Reduction Guide for Canadians.
Bob has ordered a kit and will be testing the levels in his home. We’ll update you down the road with details about the process and results. If you have experience with this and would like to share, send us a note, we’d be happy to inform our clients. Knowledge is power!