A Purchase Plus Improvements Mortgage is an insured mortgage that allows borrowers to include improvement costs within the mortgage.
With a Purchase Plus Improvements Mortgage you’ll be able to iron out all those little imperfections that come with even a dream home. Use the funds to complete improvements or upgrades immediately following the purchase of a home, thereby truly creating your perfect home, ready for your enjoyment.
Providing you meet all lender mortgage application qualifications, you may qualify for up 20% of the purchase price, or $40,000 (whichever is less), for improvements or upgrades, thus increasing the value of the property.
These funds must be used for improvements to the property, as opposed to general use such as appliances (i.e. chattels).
Here’s how the process would look:
- You must provide a list of planned improvements, with quotes, at time of the mortgage application.
- Lenders then value the home based on the value of the planned improvements, as determined by your quotes. As this is the number the lenders work with, the amount of the required down payment is now based off of the new assessed value of the home.
- The initial advance of funds will be up to 95% of the approved value of the property, minus
cost of improvements.
- The money to be used for improvements is held at the lawyers office until the work is completed.
- The work can be done by yourself or by a company / contractor, but sweat-equity labour cannot be factored into the quote, only the cost of the materials (i.e. funds are only released for materials).
- Once the work has been completed, an inspection report from a certified appraiser is required to confirm that the work was completed, and is of acceptable quality.
- Once the lender approves the report then the lawyer is advised to release the funds.
- If the final costs are less than expected, the remaining funds are applied back against the mortgage.
Let's Take The Next Step To Home Ownership Together
Drop Us A Note
From purchase plus improvement mortgages to helping you complete our online mortgage application form, we are always available to answer your questions on any topic related to home ownership.
Our expertise resides in making the dream of home ownership a reality. Drop us a note and lets get the conversation started.